As I mentioned last year, I was leaning toward moving back to Beats Music. That came true in 2015 with the launch of Apple Music, the replacement for Beats Music. The service got off to a rough start, but incremental improvements have been released through out 2015 and I now have very few complaints.
Here are my favorite releases for 2015:
1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly (One of the best hip hop albums in the last 5 or 10 years, if not ever. Hi Chris!) 2. Tame Impala - Currents (Their strongest, most cohesive album yet.) 3. Ryan Adams - 1989 (Adams takes Taylor Swift’s songs in a new, melancholy direction and it’s amazing.) 4. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities to Love (One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen, returns from an almost 10 year break with one of their best.) 5. Foals - What Went Down (What Went Down combines the best of the dance-y post-punk with straight forward alt-rock to produce a great album.) 6. Discourse - Sanity Decays (One of the better live hardcore bands I’ve seen in a while and a pretty darn good album.) 7. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit (Kind of like an Australian Liz Phair. So good.) 8. Chvrches - Every Open Eye (I am a sucker for this kind of indie-influenced pop music. Chvrches delivers every time.) 9. Beauty Pill - Beauty Pill Describes Things As They Are (Beauty Pill returns from a long hiatus to deliver an amazing, eclectic take on 2015.) 10. Saintseneca - Such Things (Not as mind blowing as Dark Arc, but that is asking a lot.)
What are your top 5 albums from 2015?
Bands I Saw in 2015
Last year was pretty amazing, music-wise.
- Sleater-Kinney w/ Waxahatchee (Babeville)
- Saintseneca (Babeville)
- Desaparecidos w/ So So Glos (Rochester)
- Grade, Chokehold, Ricochet, FU Pay Me, Pissing Match (Hamilton)
- Blonde Redhead (Waiting Room)
- Knapsack (Toronto)
- Kool A.D. (Philly)
- Waxahatchee w/ Girlpool (Toronto)
- Neutral Milk Hotel (Babeville)
- St. Vincent (Rochester)
- Harm's Way, Discourse, Longest War (Toronto)
On tap, so far, for 2016:
- Neko Case
- Judge, World Be Free, Longest War, Wreckage, Black X
- Snapcase, Endpoint, Grade
What was your favorite concert in 2015?