Huckabee on why we should be hesitant to accept Syrian refugees:
"That's not a lack of Christian charity. It's the essence of charity, to provide for needs, but not to put your own children at risk, if what you're importing could be people who have a nefarious purpose for wanting to be here." -- Mike Huckabee, via the Washington Post
For Huckabee’s reference, the definition of charity:
- generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless
- something given to a person or persons in need; alms
- a charitable act or work
- a charitable fund, foundation, or institution
- benevolent feeling, especially toward those in need or in disfavor
- leniency in judging others; forbearance
- Christian love; agape (AKA unconditional love)
So no, it’s not the essence of charity by any stretch of the imagination. It’s pretty much the opposite, and all you need to know about his beliefs and brand of religion.
I have no idea how anyone can take this guy seriously.