As I posted this AM, I am embarking on an experiment to hopefully improve my experience with the vast amount of music available to us via streaming services. Ideally I’d like to have better exposure to new, good music that fits my varied tastes and help me re-surface music in my library. The ‘For You’ tab in Apple Music seems like the best place for both, so I am going to work through my library and prune unwanted music, as well as ‘Love’ songs and albums I like a lot.
This AM I took an inventory of my pre-experiment status: 26 individual songs and 47 albums loved to date. Not sure when I did those over the last few years, but it’s not a lot considering I have 3,862 albums (40,750 songs) in my library and have logged many hours listening to music.
I also wrote down some basic criteria to use:
- If I really like a vast majority of the album, album will get 'Loved'
- If it’s just a handful of songs and don’t care to hear the other, songs will be 'Loved' individually
- I will remove any albums that I have no interest in any longer
Today I kicked off the experiment by tackling the ‘A’ artists:
- Loved 2 AC Newman songs
- Loved 1st ASAP Rocky album: Long Live A$AP
- Loved 3 AC/DC songs
- Loved 1 The Adolescents song
- Loved 1 Alexi Murdoch song
- Loved 1 Alvvays song
- Loved 1 ‘…And you will know us by the trail of dead’ song
- Loved Anderson .Paak’s Malibu
- Loved Andrew Bird’s Armchair Apocrypha
- Loved 1 Animal Collective song
- Loved 1 The Anniversary song
- Loved 5 Arcade Fire albums
- Loved 1 Archers of Loaf album
- Loved 6 Arctic Monkey songs
- Loved 2 At The Drive In albums, plus 2 songs
- Loved 2 Avail albums
- Loved 1 The Avalanches song
- Loved 2 The Avett Brothers songs, 1 album
- Loved 1 AXIS album
My initial thoughts: it’s a LOT of work. This might be a lot to tackle in 30 days. I’m also thinking it’s best to not go in order, as some days might require a smaller section (like the X, Y, or Z artists) to keep momentum.
I certainly won’t be posting this amount of detail everyday, but I do plan on checking in occasionally to update the status of the project and any insight I might glean. I will be logging the detail I posted above, so I am thinking I will include that in a single location for reference. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact it has on the For You section.
And finally, I stumbled across the ‘Find & Follow Friends’ feature of Apple Music and started the process of following friends there (thought it seems to take a while to connect people)… I did notice one follow finally went through and the ‘Friends are Listening To’ section showed up on the For You tab today. So another good discovery path! Anyway, you can follow me there if you’d like: itunes.apple.com/profile/e…
Update: Log is here.