2016 might have been a horrible year in the eyes of many (and in some aspects, correctly so), however the year was pretty great in terms of music. From performances like Kendrick Lamar at the Grammy’s to Beyonce at the Super Bowl and her Lemonade special… to album releases, there were a ton of great moments.
Here are my favorite albums from 2016. I couldn’t reduce the list to a smaller number, so I broke the larger list down by genre to help you find something you might have missed over the course of the year. (In no particular order.)
- Anderson Paak — Malibu
- Solange — A Seat at the Table
- Rihanna — Anti
- NxWorries — Yes Lawd!
- Frank Ocean — Blonde
- Blood Orange — Freetown Sound
- Run the Jewels — RTJ3
- Schoolboy Q — Blankface
- A Tribe Called Quest — We got it from here
- Common — Black America Again
- Danny Brown — Atrocity Exhibition
- Chance the Rapper — Coloring Book
- DJ Khaled — Major Key
- J Cole — 4 Your Eyes Only
- Kendrick Lamar — Untitled Unmastered
- Bon Iver — 22, a Million
- D.D Dumbo — Utopia Defeated
- Daughter — Not to Disappear
- Frightened Rabbit — Portrait of a Panic Attack
- Warpaint — Heads Up
- Radiohead — A moon shaped pool
- CHVRCHES — Every Open Eye
- Bob Mould — Patch the Sky
- Descendents — Hypercaffium Spazzinate
- World Be Free — the Anti-Circle
- Hamilton Leithauser Rostam — I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
- Car Seat Headrest — Teens of Denial
- White Lung — Paradise
In addition to the list, I’ve been adding songs to my Best Of 2016 playlist. Feel free to subscribe, if you are an Apple Music user.
So, what did I miss? Share your favorite albums from 2016! I love new music.