At the end of each year I take some time to figure out what I want to do more of in the coming year. I call this my Love List.
Why a Love List? As I wrote back in 2011:
The list is fluid and will change as my life changes. I’m not going to judge myself if some of these don’t get completed. I am going to put this list somewhere so I see it every day and spend at least part of my day moving one or more of these forward. And then at the end of 2012 I will do a retrospective to see how far I’ve come on these items.
So it’s basically a more positive, fluid take on resolutions. For example, here is the 2016 version.
I did a poor job tracking my 2016 list in any detail, but in summary:
- Family: I had a great year with my wife and kids. We traveled to Disney (with many adventures along the way), went camping in Rhode Island, and much more. It was a very positive year — probably one of our best.
- Exercise and Health: I did run two 5k races and did an OK amount of training for those, so I’d consider my health goal met.
- Programming/Eko Wave was a fail. I wasn’t able to keep momentum for an extended period of time. It’s been hard to even get started in the last couple months of 2016, with both of my parents spending time in the hospital on top of regular family/work busyness.
- Writing: Write more? Nope. Was less of a priority than programming, so got even less done.
- Photography: I did take a ton of photos and made a photo book, calendar, and got a couple larger prints made for our house. Definitely a sucess.
- Random: I did read more than previous years. I read a few actual books for once, in addition to many comics/graphic novels. I also made progress on my guitar, using Apple’s Music Memos to track and work on my ideas. (It’s a great app, if you are interested in making music.) I didn’t get around to meditation much at all, however.
So, with that said… 2017. What’s on my list so far:
- Family: family will always be my top priority.
- 3,000,000+ steps (average more than 8,220 per day.) I am going to accomplish this through more regular exercise, as well as training to run in five 5k races. My first race last year was a serious effort, but completing the second one (with a ton of improvement) got me hooked.
- Launch in Q1 2017 Relic Scout . With marketing and promotion effort for remainder of year.
- More reflection and gratitude. I am going to accomplish this through writing more on this blog, keeping a log of daily gratitude, journal more in Day One, and make quarterly photo books.
I am going to try to keep it simple this year, while using activities I’ve used as Love List items in the past (writing/photography/etc.) to help support bigger picture goals.
As always, I intend to post updates and progress here… stay tuned.
Happy New Year to all.