Pinterest is all the rage, but I don’t use it. Sure I checked it out, but it didn’t stick. Why?
Well, to start, I got an invite before the site really blew up and the discovery part didn’t fit my needs. People weren’t pinning stuff of interest, so I didn’t have any incentive to return to the site. (And it continued to remain irrelevant the handful of times I did return for a brief moment.)
The main reason, though, was Gimme Bar.
Yes, the basic premise of Gimme Bar is similar to Pinterest, but Gimme Bar does more of what I want and less of what I don’t:
- You can save entire pages, not just images. (I save site designs for inspiration.)
- You can back up Instagram, Twitter, Delicious, Pinboard. (I use the Instagram backup.)
- You can back up your entire account to Dropbox. (Meaning you can take your data/collections with you!)
- The actually have a business model: Pro accounts for $24 per year (Oops, did I forget to mention Pinterest’s shady business model?!.)
- There are no follower counts, share counts, follower/following lists, etc — no reason to gamethesystem or strive for social media “fame.” (Just collect stuff you like vs. a popularity contest or trying to make money.)
- Discovering new stuff. It’s not perfect, as the user base isn’t huge, but they do share things that interest me most of the time.
So, if any of this sounds interesting to you, sign up today and look for me! My username is endonend. Feel free to send me your username as well and I’ll follow your collections.